The 2009 Community Health Project: NIMS Certification
The NCANS Community Health Committee proposes that NCANS adopt NIMS Certification as the Community Health Project for 2009-2010. This project has been developed to further the mission of the NSNA Disaster Preparedness Committee in informing and preparing nursing students for their role and involvement during disasters.
Natural disaster events have quadrupled over the last 20 years, primarily floods, cyclones, and storms, and the average number of persons affected per year worldwide has increased to 250 million, causing a humanitarian crisis.
Nursing students are now required to understand the basic principles of disaster and emergency planning in order to accurately answer questions on those subjects which fall within the category of Safety and Infection Control on the NCLEX-RN®, which accounts for 18-14% of the total NCLEX-RN subject matter.
National Incident Management Systems (NIMS) basic training (IS-100, IS-200, and IS-700.a courses) for all potential disaster responders is a requirement for states, territories, tribes and local entities as of fiscal year 2006, in order to be deemed NIMS compliant, which is a requirement for agencies to receive federal disaster preparedness funding.
What’s being done?
- The Ready Campaign – www.ready.gov
· Designed to empower and educate Americans to prepare for and respond to emergencies, including natural disasters and potential terrorist attacks.
· 4 Key Actions:
o Get an Emergency Supply Kit
o Make a Family Emergency Plan
o Be informed about the different types of emergencies that could occur and the proper responses to each
o Get involved in community preparedness efforts
· The goal of this campaign is to increase the level of basic preparedness across America through public involvement and education.
- NSNA Disaster Preparedness Committee
· Informs nursing students of the realness of disasters and how they as student nurses can prepare and be involved in disaster preparedness in their community and on a national level.
- NIMS Certification through FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Institute)
· FREE online courses (IS-100, IS-200, and IS-700.a courses) grant certification in basic disaster preparedness
· NSNA honored students who have completed these certifications with a special ribbon indicating NIMS certification when they brought a copy of all three certifications to the 2009 Annual Convention in Nashville, TN
What can you do?
· Complete the National Incident Management Systems (NIMS) Certificate programs which are available online at no cost. Go to www.fema.gov/emergency/nims/NIMSTrainingCourses.shtm under NIMS Courses, select and then complete the NIMS online IS-100 course (2.5 hrs), print the Certificate of Completion when received; select and complete the NIMS online IS-200 course (3 hrs), print the Certificate when received; and select and complete the NIMS online IS-700.a course (3 hrs), print the Certificate when received.
§ Total time commitment – 8.5 hrs
o You will receive an NSNA ribbon recognizing your completion of these NIMS certifications when you bring copies of each certification to the 2009 MidYear Conference in Phoenix, AZ
o NIMS Certification will also look great on a Resume!!
· Encourage nursing programs to include disaster preparedness and response material in their planned curricula in order to adequately prepare students for the NCLEX-RN exam
The American Red Cross (www.redcross.org) has information on how to prepare schools and students for disasters, and information for how to prepare your home and family, and how to prepare your workplace and employees.
Disaster Response Network
National Student Nurses Association, Disaster Planning Committee